Saturday, April 28, 2012

The best day yet!


Today was the trip from Show Low, AZ to Parker, AZ and it was an awesome ride!  Started out at the usual time, 5:50 am or so from Show Low. The temperature was 36 when I left. When I initially started the scooter in the morning it sounded funny in the variator/clutch area and that had me concerned. Finally, Dave said "it's just cold" and "even if there is something wrong you have no parts to fix it". Good point, so on I went. Turns out it sounded just fine after riding it for a while (Dave is usually right about things).  I had checked the forecast the night before and knew of the temperature drop so was ready. I dressed as follows from the feet up;

-socks/shoes
-long johns
-track pants
-riding pants
-under armor
-long sleeved shirt
-thermal jacket insulator
-wind breaker 
-putter shell of jacket
-gloves
-gloves
-rain gloves

The combo worked well, except for my hands, they were frozen. Perhaps if I do another CBR, I will invest in heated grips. Keep in mind I had all of this on as I descended into the 100 degree Arizona desert and at my last fuel stop I ditched as much as I could without eating up too much time.

The ride was beautiful. It was exactly what I was looking forward too on the CBR. High mountains, forrest, twisty roads and desert. The route went through some really cool towns. The most memorable of which was Jerome, I'll be going back there. I had caught up to two other riders and followed them through Jerome where we proceeded to get lost. The roads were weird and at one point we were heading back down the mountain. The views along the mountain ridge were awesome to the point where I had to stop and snap some photos and turn on the iPhone video camera, times be damned. 

It got really warm as I descended into the desert. As long as I kept moving I didn't get overly hot. The last 100 miles were straight and flat Arizona desert, but it didn't bore me like Texas and New Mexico did. I enjoyed the ride and the 100 miles was just long enough to keep me interested and keep me from getting bored. I made a performance enhancement last night that I didn't mention to too many people. Not because its some super secret enhancement but because I'm an idiot. It's the most basic thing in the book on any type of vehicle. Tire pressure. Of course I checked it before I left Chicago, but we had climbed and descended 9000 feet and had seen temperatures from 36 to 105. I was 10 pounds low on each. Stupid, stupid, stupid. Between the lower elevation and the tire pressure I think I gained about 3 to 4 MPH and probably at least a few MPG. Hard knocks university, that's exactly what the Cannonball Run is.

In the desert I saw what looked like smoke on the horizon. Turns out, it was a dust devil/tornado thing. I guess they don't only exist in the cartoons. Also, in the desert, a plastic bag I had stuffed under my wind screen flew up, covered my helmet so I couldn't see anything and acted as a sail and pulled my head back. I guess that doesn't just exist in movies/cartoons either. All of this at 65 MPH. Good thing I was on straight and flat road!

Tomorrow is the last day. We head south from here through Joshua Tree National Park. I've always wanted to see this and cannot wait. I think it will be another "times be damned" kind of thing as I will be taking pictures. We also go to -200 feet below sea level. 

I got some video of the twisted and am going to put it into a short clip and upload later tonight, so watch for that. 

Not sure I'll be able to do a wrap up tomorrow or not, big party at the finish line that is being put on by a big scooter dealership!

The beginning of the twists

Valley

Checkpoint number 2

One of those "stop for photo" places

The Arizona desert behind me

Dust devil

Desert scooter

3 comments:

  1. Its a good thing your sail didn't pick you up and carry you away...that would have been funny too..You are going to love Joshua Tree Park it is mesmerizing I drove through it but I would love to ride my bike. there is a path that goes up a small hill/mountain and you can see the san adnres fault..
    Shelly your #1 fan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sixth place after today. Fantastic! You and the HD are too cool for words!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so awesome, Patrick! Love being able to follow along through your blog! <3 Angela & Garth

    ReplyDelete