Sunday, April 15, 2012

All packed!

I am finally 95% done packing things up.  I mounted all of my gadgets today and it turned out better than expected.  I was a bit concerned I wasn't going to be able to find a place for everything since there aren't many flat available surfaces.  With a little creativity I was able to make it work!  When I was up at Second City Scooters yesterday, I made a list of the tools I would need, so I could avoid bringing an entire tool set. With that info I made up a bag of tools and was able to cut down on weight significantly.  I was able to fit all of my riding gear and clothes  the Givi case, which is great, because I thought I was going to have to strap an extra bag for my gear to the seat when I ship it out.

I mentioned in an earlier post that that I would post a link to a site where you can follow me in real time.  My friend Dave has it up and running; here is the link!

http://followride.com/

That will take you to the main map and show you everyone that is currently using the tracking website.  If you want to see me specifically, look for NUMBER 56 (RockBass14).  For even more detail, click the top of the page that says "Riders" and find #56.  It updates every 5 minutes so you should have a pretty good idea of where I am along the route.  The only downfall is that it requires a data connection to send the GPS location to the website.  When I'm in the middle of nowhere I probably wont have data to upload it to the site, so there may be some large gaps in location updates.

Thats it for now, I'll post tomorrow with pics from the pickup!

Gadgetry is mounted!  Left handle bar is XM Radio.  Right side is  waterproof iphone case and below that is my waterproof Garmin.  The thing in the middle is my power outlet, but its not waterproof and I expect it to die somewhere along the way.  I have large battery packs as backups for all of this incase that does happen!

1 comment:

  1. Hey Patrick,

    I'd love to get in touch with you about your Cannonball run before you leave. Would you be open to an online interview before and after the race? I'd love to chronicle yours and other riders' experiences over on ScooterFile. I'm local here in Chicago, so we could get together in person, or we could do it all through email. Drop me a line at info@scooterfile.com

    Thanks!

    Nathaniel Salzman
    Founder, ScooterFile.com

    ReplyDelete