Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Commonly asked questions about the scooter trip

Lots of questions about this so far, here are the most common:

Q- Is this a joke?
A- Apparently my dry sense of humor and commonly "not serious about much" attitude precedes me.  This is not a joke. I am actually doing this!

Q-Why are you doing this?
A-Some people do it for the timed race aspect, some for charity. Me? I'm doing it for fun.

Q-How do you know what type of gear you need and how to plan each day?
A-Without Dave I would be lost.  I had no idea......

Q-What if it rains?
A-I will get wet. Some of my electronics will get fried, such as my XM Receiver ($20) and my cigarette lighter adapter that powers everything ($15).   I do have a waterproof case for my phone and my Garmin GPS is waterproof as well.  I bought some Carhartt rain gear, waterproof gloves and waterproof boot covers.

Q-How many days will this take?
A-If nothing breaks catastrophically; 8 days.

Q-Where are you staying?
A-Hotels

Q-How are you updating your blog?
A-iPad

Q-How many miles is this?
A-2,600

Q-How fast does your scooter go?
A-Without gear loaded up around 75; with gear loaded up, I am guessing 65 to 70.  I'll get back to you on that one.

Q-Where do you keep your clothes?
A-I have a top case that is waterproof and saddle bags that aren't.  Guess where my clothes are going.

Q-What's going in the not waterproof saddle bags?
A-Tools, gas can, yo momma

Q-Are  you going to miss your dog, Ruby?
A-Yes, look at this picture, how could I not?




















Q-How do you get your scooter to the starting point and from the destination?
A-Private contracter to Savannah and freight company back to Chicago

Q-Is this expensive?
A-YES

Q-Are you going to do it again?
A-Unlikely; TBD

Questions from "Anonymous" in the comments below:

Q-Are you scared or nervous? 
A-Scared, no. The only thing I'm nervous of is tornadoes.  Aside from day 1 between Savannah and Troy, AL the weather looks clear!


Q-Will you post ALOT of pictures on the way?
A-I will try my best; hopefully there is something interesting to take pictures of along the side of the road


Q-Do you have your hotels already lined up?
A-I booked my hotels about 2 months ago, mostly the crappy motel type places.

Q-I would like to do this to..can I go with you? A-You have a scoot? Come on down! Otherwise I think two people on my little scooter would be miserable for both of us, and the scooter.




5 comments:

  1. I have some questions, are you scared or nervous?
    Will you post ALOT of pictures on the way?
    Do you have your hotels already lined up?
    I would like to do this to..can I go with you?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the questions. I posted answers at the bottom of the list. Now my question for you; who is "Anonymous"?

    ReplyDelete
  3. you know its me I gave a hint when I said post alot of pictures
    anonymous is the only way I can post

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think Ruby wants to go, too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Will you be wearing diapers like an astronaut?

    ReplyDelete