Sunday, April 22, 2012

Day 1 (aka rookie day)

Today, I put more miles on my scooter in one day than I have in the entire 13 months I've owned it. The weather started out crappy, but not the torrential rains they were forecasting. I was out of it within a couple of hours. Should be pretty clear from here on out. Dave and I started out together, but he has 15 MPH on me and ultimately finished the day an hour ahead of me.
Now the interesting stuff. Today was a day where you learn things, really fast. Rather than a bunch of long winded paragraphs about what I screwed up, I am going to write myself a list for future reference. It's a list to remind myself (along with anyone who may attempt something like this) what not to do.

Here it is;

-Do not leave your gloves on the seat of the scooter at the hotel and drive away. Especially right from the get go. You will have to turn around and go search the streets of savannah for them. (I found them)

-Study your route. You know you aren't good with numbers. There may be 60 miles of highway and NOT 16. If you're lucky it will be 6:00 am on a Sunday morning and the highway will be empty.

-Pay closer attention to the electronics people lend to you. Especially, a $300 gopro Hero HD camera. The mounting bracket might have shitty glue and it will probably fall off on a road somewhere in Georgia. You will have to back track several miles hoping to find it, but you won't. (sorry Dan, it will be replaced).

-Pay attention to your fuel gauge. Also, plan your fuel burn more conservatively. If you don't, you might end up trucking down a hill at 65 mph and then the engine will quit because you ran it out of gas. You'll have to push it to someone's driveway and fill it up with the extra gallon you carry. This will cost you time. (it's a timed race you know!)

-Don't day dream. You will probably miss at least two turns. You will have to backtrack again, costing you even more time.

-Figure out your Bluetooth helmet setup before you leave. If its on the wrong setting, it will pause your music every time you try to sing along with it. Good luck trying to figure it out on the go.

-Wear sunblock on your neck. Too late.

The answer is yes, all of this happened today. On a whole (aside from losing the camera) it was a good day. Looking forward to a ride through Mississippi tomorrow!

Still trying to figure out the picture taking thing. Since the hero is gone I have to take them with my hand held camera. Not too much picture worthy stuff today. It was nice, just nothing exceptional (see picture below). Just a lot of road, a lot of trees and a lot of small towns. And a lot of cops. No tickets though!




















This is how you prove you were at a certain location at a certain time. High tech I know. (my camera won't hold date and time anymore, was going to get a new one but have to replace Dans now).




This is the official time sheet we hand in. Our scores and rankings should be posted at the end of each day when everyone gets to the hotel.




Dork





11 comments:

  1. :) Your posts make me laugh out loud!

    I should have been given credit for the sunblock learning lesson. I believe when I mentioned it Friday you said, "good idea"....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting blog. I like it. Keep doing it. Very funny. Good Luck! #BOT

      Delete
  2. Lol your post is hilarious. Love It!! Have fun sir!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Patrick, chalk it up to experience and go out and have more fun today! You are doing great...keep it up.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ha ha! It's always the little details that cause the pain, isn't it? You're doing great, Patrick!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Keep on rolling Little P! I had no idea you were doing this till yesterday. The blog is excellent. The CBR sounds like a total blast. Enjoy...
    Kenny J

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm with Keely you always make me laugh too and yes you do look like "Dorf on Scooter" but it really looks like alot of fun stay safe! Hope the weather stay nice it is snowing here..goodbye grape and fruit season

    Shelly D

    ReplyDelete
  7. Is there a way to know in advance where the checkpoint is in Moody, Texas? If I have time, I think it would be fun to go up and watch some of the scooters go through. Don't worry, though. . . if I do go up, I won't expect you to take the time to talk.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Linda! There is no official checkpoint except for the town itself. We need to take a picture of something identifiable in the town with our arrival time documented. Your best bet for seeing scoots is the main drag through town. I'll have to look and make sure our route takes us through it and not around it. Which day is it?

      Delete
    2. Day 4, Wednesday. Route goes through Moody, which is a fairly small town. I'm only about 75 percent sure I'll make it. I have a Twitter account, but rarely use it. Maybe I can figure it out and send a Tweet if I go. Again, I totally understand your time restraints and wouldn't expect you to chitchat -- although it would be fun to take your picture for the Sym Forum!

      Delete