Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Day 3; Hazelhurst, MS - Lufkin, TX

First thing; thanks to everyone who has been following me. I certainly didn't expect such interest in this, so I have been pleasantly surprised by the people reading the blog and commenting!

On to today's events....

Well, I did it again. First turn out of the parking lot was in the wrong direction. I figured that one out quick, so no real loss of time. I know the guys in the parking lot were standing there laughing at me, I wonder when I'll shake the rookie moves? It was a frigid morning. Luckily I put my rain covers over my gloves to keep the wind out. It worked well, so did my under armor shirt. There were a ton of trucks on the route today. There was also a couple of medium sized towns with a lot of traffic. I crossed the Mississippi river into Louisiana and the scenery was much different than I expected. Not swampy and gator filled like I had hoped. It was still very nice scenery though. I think I spent about 80 miles behind semis one of which I tried to pass twice, but couldn't make it happen. I'll post a video later that shows the two failed attempts. One of them, I think he sped up #asshole. I was eventually able to pass him though, watch the video to see how (wow, so suspenseful, right?). Another semi saw me trying to pass and actually drove on the shoulder to let me. That was nice of him. I pulled up next to the cab and gave him a wave as in "thank you" but he kept pointing forward and had a puzzled look on his face. He was indicating for me to quit with the niceties and to hurry up and pass since he was driving on a shoulder. I started rocking forward showing him I was trying my best (I was topped out on speed). I could almost hear him say "OHHHHHHH" and then he started laughing, as did I. I eventually got ahead of him and proceeded on my way.

I crossed at 2 mile bridge into Texas. It was over a nice lake and made me want to go fishing. That is when the ultimate gaffe of the day happened. I positioned my scooter in front of the "Welcome to Texas" sign for the checkpoint picture. I crouched down and right as I snapped the photo, the scooter fell on its side. The picture below is actually mid fall, and the other one is obviously post fall. Thank god I had my iPhone recording so I could put it in todays video (enticing!). I righted it and continued west.

I saw the guy that drove by me at the checkpoint and flipped me off (all in good fun of course), parked on the side of the side of the road. Flat tire. #karma. He had it under control so I headed for lufkin. I made it to the motel, took my picture and got out of there. That place is a dump. I'm staying a couple miles away at a holiday inn express.

That's it for today, keep the comments coming! Tomorrow is Lufkin-Abilene!!




These are my walrus shaped rain covers. Not sure why they shape them like that, but they work!



More parking lot maintenance. Sure hoping I don't find myself in that situation!



Like I said earlier, they ride them for 12 hours and then rebuild them in the parking lot at the end of the day. #vintage


Cliche and emo picture of my shadow in the sunrise



Ran into this construction. The road was scraped so it made for a violent 2 mile ride through this town. It moved my wheels all over the place. I found a good short cut around this guy.



If you look closely, you can tell that it is mid fall by the angle it's leaning at and by the position of the kick stand.


Awwwwwww, so sad. No harm done, just a little fuel leakage



All of that so I could get this picture at the Texas/Louisiana state line.

19 comments:

  1. Evening Patrick,

    Sounds like you had a "memorable day" with the tipping incident. Looks like the soft bags saved the paint. I realize the run is a timed event and every man for himself, however, sounds like you are riding solo during the day and hook up with the other riders at night.

    The daily recap and photos are great.

    Ride safe.
    Gary

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's right Gary. There is only one othe scooter tha matches my performance range. Everyone else is faster or slower. I figured out quick, riding in groups wasn't going to work give the nature of the ride. Some of the people aren't competing and ride together. I wasn't intending on competing until I placed 5th on day one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Never thought driving down the road would be that interesting. But you seem to have plenty of funny stories to tell. You should keep tabs on pass ratio. Number of cars passed vs how many pass you. I know if a moped was creeping up on me, I would never let it pass. #toomuchpride oh well. have a safe day 4. out

    ReplyDelete
  4. They haven't given you a score for day 3. Whats up with that?

    David (Mona's brother)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Internet at last nights hotel was worse than dial up, if that's possible. I think the organizer gave up. Expecting the same tonight from the scum and piss motel (sun and pines).

      Delete
  5. Your recaps are crackin' me up! Why have a smooth, gaffe-free trip when you can have great stories?! :) Stephen hasn't read any yet so I'm gonna have him read it now!
    G

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My blog would be really boring if shit didn't happen.

      Delete
  6. All I picture in my head is you humping your scooter

    Shelly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I had thought of that as my description, because that's pretty much what it looked like.

      Delete
  7. Patrick,

    Stoked to see you guys riding and staying safe. I came across the cannonball run too late to participate but seriously contemplating on riding in 2014 if possible. May even talk a buddy into doing it as well.

    Either way, keep it up as I'm checking your's and Dave's statuses everyday. Stay safe and ride on.

    P.S. - I'm originally from Monroe, Louisiana (Dallas, TX now) which is roughly 30 miles north of Winnfield, Louisiana which you rode through on day three. #SHINFO <-- (Stands for Shitty Info)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! Shinfo, I like that. Highly recommend doing the CBR in 2014. This is blast! Thanks for following!

      Delete
  8. I'm so glad you've had some great weather and you're moving along nicely! I found out today that a guy from Austin Scooter Club is doing the Cannonball -- K-word. I'll go up tomorrow for sure to cheer you guys on -- try to put myself just before the Moody city limit sign. (You can spot my white hair a mile away!) Looks like Moody is about 200 miles from Lufkin, so I'm guessing you be through there at about 9:30 at the earliest?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds about right linda! Planning on departing at 6:30. That would be a good spot, I'll be stopping at that sign anways for my checkpoint photo!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Perfect. Hopefully I'll get myself up early enough to ride the HD. See you then.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Enjoying the blog! Have fun and be safe. What an adventure!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Just found your blog. I'm following a few different ones and am really enjoying your stories so far. Keep the shinny side up and ride safe.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great stories Patrick. I'm surprised I haven't seen more comments from your siblings though.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Rubys dad! Got a question. How you getting back home? Love the blog, stay safe!

    Puggle Otis

    ReplyDelete
  15. Shipping it home and flying back!

    ReplyDelete